Clark County, Ohio

History and Genealogy



Then & Now - Northeast Corner of Fountain & Main

Andrew Black opened Black's Opera House at the northwest corner of Fountain and Main Streets in 1868, and the first performance was the Drummer Boy of Shiloh on February 8, 1869. The 1000 seat auditorium was located on the second floor. The first floor was used as storerooms. Ross Mitchell was the owner and it was destroyed by fire in 1903.

The Fairbanks Building was erected on the location of Black's Opera House in 1906. The Fairbanks Theater, within the hotel, seated 1500-1600 people, and opened with "Ben Hur".

After the Fairbanks Hotel closed, it became the First National Bank Building and was converted from hotel rooms to office space. After several name changes, it is now the National City Bank Building.



Back







Links

Ohio Genealogy



Home

Advertising

Battle of Piqua

Biographies

Cemeteries

City Charter

County Politics and Roster of Officers

Early Clark County

George Rogers Clark

Clark-Shawnee Centennial

Education in Clark County

Ghost Towns

Indians in Clark County

Pioneers and Pioneer Days

Simon Kenton

Military History

Miscellaneous

The National Road

Obituaries

The Old Northwest

Organizations

Photos

Prehistory

Springfield in 1852

Springfield in 1859

Springfield in 1863

Springfield in 1868

Springfield History

SHS 1951 Yearbook

State and County Government

Then & Now










Host your genealogy or history site on AncestralSites.com! Only $25 annually for 1gb of space!