Then & Now - Ferncliff Cemetery
On September 12, 1863, the Springfield Cemetery Association bought 70.8 acres for $7,030. The land was purchased from the Henry Bechtle Farm and the name for the cemetery was adopted April 4, 1864. Ferncliff Cemetery was dedicated July 4, 1864. When a horse-drawn hearse arrived, a bell tolled in the tower. This is the old Plum Street entrance taken from an 1889 publication Springfield Illustrated.
And this is the same entrance as you would see it leaving the cemetery in 1913.
Entering the old Plum Street entrance in 2006.
And leaving Ferncliff from the old Plum Street entrance in 2006.
John Dick was the first superintendent of Ferncliff Cemetery and was responsible for the layout of the cemetery.
John Dick's house, near the Plum Street entrance.
Battle of Piqua
County Politics and Roster of Officers
Early Clark County
George Rogers Clark
Education in Clark County
Indians in Clark County
Pioneers and Pioneer Days
The National Road
The Old Northwest
Springfield in 1852
Springfield in 1859
Springfield in 1863
Springfield in 1868
SHS 1951 Yearbook
State and County Government
Then & Now