Clark County, Ohio

History and Genealogy



Then & Now - City Hall & Esplanade

Located on what is now the esplanade, facing High Street, at the corner of Fountain Avenue, it was also called the City Market House. It had a hall for public meetings, but Whiteley's machine shops were so close, it drowned out anyone trying to speak. Below is Springfield's first City Hall, built in 1848.

The property of the current City Hall has been occupied by numerous businesses over the years. 1920 - Neal Signs. 1930 - vacant. 1940 - Charters-Patterson. 1950 - Sherman Shops Mode-O-Day ... Charters-Patterson. 1960 - Thornton's Clothes. 1970 - Mode-O-Day, Frock Shop. Below is the esplanade area from around the 1940's.

Below is the esplanade area in 2006.



Back







Links

Ohio Genealogy



Home

Advertising

Battle of Piqua

Biographies

Cemeteries

City Charter

County Politics and Roster of Officers

Early Clark County

George Rogers Clark

Clark-Shawnee Centennial

Education in Clark County

Ghost Towns

Indians in Clark County

Pioneers and Pioneer Days

Simon Kenton

Military History

Miscellaneous

The National Road

Obituaries

The Old Northwest

Organizations

Photos

Prehistory

Springfield in 1852

Springfield in 1859

Springfield in 1863

Springfield in 1868

Springfield History

SHS 1951 Yearbook

State and County Government

Then & Now










Host your genealogy or history site on AncestralSites.com! Only $25 annually for 1gb of space!