Springfield - A City
From The History of Clark County, Ohio
Chicago: W.H. Beers & Co., 1881 - Page 473
By Oscar T. Martin
The town now having outgrown its hitherto modest limits became entitled to the dignity and privileges of a city, under a bill of incorporation which passed the Legislature March 21, 1850. A vote for the adoption or rejection of the city charter was taken in May of the same year, resulting in the adoption by a vote of 386 for to sixty-three against. The charter designated the following boundaries of the city. Beginning at the east side of the Twopole street, northeast corner of the new graveyard; thence south to the old Columbus road; thence southwesterly to the point of intersection of Pearce's mill road and the Limestone road; thence due west to the section line of Section 34; thence south with said section line to the corner of the section; thence west with the section line of Sections 34 and 4, to the northwest corner of Section 4; thence west with the section line of sections 4 and 5 to Buck Creek; thence up Buck Creek, and on the north side thereof, to Charles Anthony's west line; thence north with said Charles Anthony's west line, to the north line of Section 5; thence east with the north line of Sections 5 and 35, to the Mad River & Lake Erie Railroad; thence in a southwesterly direction with said railroad, to the point of intersection with Lagonda mill road; thence east to a point due north of the place of beginning; thence south to the place of beginning.
The following officers were elected under this charter: Mayor, James M. Hunt; Councilmen, Alexander Ramsey, John G. Filler, C. D. McMarshal, Martin Carey.
An enumeration was taken this year (1850), by Benjamin H. Rogers, which gave Springfield a population of 5,109, an increase over 1848 of 841.
The different secret associations of the city being desirous of more commodious rooms, an association for the erection of a building whose upper rooms could be used by these associations and the lower ones for storerooms, was organized and the corner-stone of the building known as "Union Hall Building," on Market street, between Main and High, was laid on June 27, 1850, with appropriate ceremonies by the different orders of Odd Fellows and Masons in the city. In the March following two business rooms of this block were occupied by Foos & Brother. In 1874, this building was greatly improved and modernized.
The modern improvement in lighting the city with gas dates back to April 5, 1850. The Springfield Gas Light & Coal Company under the supervision of Mr. E. C. Gwyn had their works so far completed at that time as to furnish lights for six street lamps and several stores in addition to the city hall, which had then eighteen burners. The price of gas was then $6 per 1,000 cubic feet. The construction of the gas works has been a profitable investment. The Springfield Gas & Coke Company had been chartered March 8, 1849, and organized September 19, 1849, with a capital of about $5,000. The officers were Charles Anthony, President; James S. Goode, Secretary. Board of Directors — Charles Anthony, William Foos, Peter Murray, T. J. Kindlebarger and Joshua Gore.
John Kinsman & Co. subsequently leased the property, and have successfully conducted the business. At this time the city contained twelve churches, one female seminary, one reading-room and three large halls for exhibitions, lectures, etc., eleven physicians and sixteen lawyers, two banking institutions, seven hotels, seventeen mercantile and three book stores, three drug stores, five iron and hardware stores, forty-three groceries, three bakeries, two dental offices, one daguerrean room, ten boot and shoe stores and shops, nine tailor shops, five saddle and harness shops, four stove and tin shops, three cabinet warerooms, four hat stores, three jewelers' stores, six wagon and carriage shops, several blacksmith and cooper shops, and several warehouses, four extensive foundries, one oil, one paper, two saw, one planing and three flouring-mills, two book binderies, three printing offices and one publication office for a paper printed in Urbana, Ohio.
Battle of Piqua
County Politics and Roster of Officers
Early Clark County
George Rogers Clark
Education in Clark County
Indians in Clark County
Pioneers and Pioneer Days
The National Road
The Old Northwest
Springfield in 1852
Springfield in 1859
Springfield in 1863
Springfield in 1868
SHS 1951 Yearbook
State and County Government
Then & Now