Clark County's Civil War Soldiers
From The History of Clark County, Ohio
Chicago: W.H. Beers & Co., 1881
The Thirty-Fifth Battalion of Ohio Militia of 1863, grew out of the efforts of Gen. Charles W. Hill, Adjutant General of Ohio, under Governor Tod, to organize the militia of the State in such a manner as to make it fit for some kind of service in case of urgent need. Little progress had been made, however, when the "urgent need" came in the shape of the celebrated "Morgan Raid." Then there was "hurrying to and fro;" the whole body of enrolled militia south of the National road was in a blaze of ardor. Companies, battalions and regiments were improvised, and turned loose after the raiding rebels. The force from Clark county was ordered to report at Camp Chase, which it did, and performed as much service as any like body of troops during that particular campaign. * After Morgan was captured, and the troops dismissed, the awakened interest was preserved by the organization of the Thirty-Fifth Battalion. This was done in the month of October, 1863 (this date is somewhat uncertain, as no record has yet been found of it), at the court house, in this city, and resulted as follows:
k—Killed in action; p— Prisoner; w—Wounded; pd—promoted; d—Died in service; dd—Deceased; m—Missing.
Colonel, Israel Stough.
Lieutenant Colonel, Edward M. Doty.
Major, Thomas W. Bown.
Adjutant, John B. Hagan.
Quarter Master, Richard D. Harrison.
Surgeon, D.M. Murray.
Sergeant Major Jason W. Phillips.
Quarter Master Sergeant, Joseph Miller
Commissary Sergeant, Joseph D. Wood.
Company A, from Springfield, 75 men. Captain Asa S. Bushnell; First Lieutenant, Richard L. Parker; Second Lieutenant, Asa Hatch.
Company B, from Springfield, 62 men. Captain, Ed. E. Ritter; First Lieutenant, Aaron Cochran; Second Lieutenant, William Reid.
Company C, from Pitchin and Clifton, 83 men. Captain Albert Miller; First Lieutenant, Thomas E. Stewart; Second Lieutenant, Harvey H. Tuttle.
Company D, from South Charleston, 60 men. Captain, Alfred Bown; First Lieutenant, Elijah G. Coffin; Second Lieutenant, William Hudson.
Company E, from Medway, 63 men. Captain J.L. McKinney; First Lieutenant, Jacob R. Kauffman; Second Lieutenant, James S. Horr.
Company F, from Lagonda, 73 men. Captain, Charles A. Welsh; First Lieutenant, Benjamin H. Warder; Second Lieutenant, M.L. France.
Company G, from —, 63 men. Captain John E. Layton; First Lieutenant, Ira B. Miller; Second Lieutenant, C.S. Forgy.
Company H, from Enon, 72 men. Captain, Henry C. Cross; First Lieutenant, Jacob Hanes; Second Lieutenant, Samuel Esterline.
Total, 551 men.
During the winter of 1863-64, the companies were drilled, uniformed and partly armed, so that the following spring the corps was ready to receive the christening of "Ohio National Guard," which the Legislature had bestowed upon the organized militia of the State during the session of that winter. On the 25th of April, came the memorable order from Gov. Brough for thirty thousand National Guardsmen from Ohio for one hundred days' service. The Thirty-fifth Battalion was ordered to Camp Dennison, Ohio, and condensed from eight companies to six. The corps was then distributed into three different regiments, and re-lettered as follows: Two companies to the One Hundred and Forty-Sixth Regiment (D and I); two companies to the One Hundred and Fifty-Second Regiment (E and K); two companies to the One Hundred and Fifty-Third Regiment (E and F), and one company to the One Hundred and Sixty-Eighth Regiment, which see. This disposes of the Thirty-Fifth Battalion, and bring us to the One Hundred Days' men of 1864.
* The reader is referred to the orders of Gov. Tod, and other paragraphs, in another part of this article.