Springfield in 1852
From Directory of the City of Springfield
John W. Kees & Co., Springfield. 1852
NEWSPAPERS PUBLISHED IN SPRINGFIELD.
The first newspaper printed in Springfield, was "The Farmer," by a man named Geo. Smith, in the year 1817. He had his office in a small log house, which stood on the southeast corner of the lot on which the Presbyterian church now stands. Smith continued its publication about a year, when he sold it to Henry Rogers, who changed the title of the paper to "The Farmer's Advocate." Since then it has been continued under different proprietors and modifications of name, until coming into the possession of its present albe proprietors, T.A. Wick and R.R. McNemar, under the style of T.A. Wick & Co., who now publish it weekly and tri-weekly, with the name of "The Republic." They have their office in King's row, on Limestone street.
There was a religious paper, published in pamphlet form, by Rev. Saul Henkle, called "The Gospel Trumpet," printed here in the same year of Smith's paper; but it was soon removed to Dayton, Ohio, where its publication was continued a short time.
A literary paper, entitled "The Farmer's Chronicle," made its appearance on January 1, 1833, published by the firm of Stacy, Nichols & Stacy, who continued it until June following, when it was merged into the "Western Pioneer."
In 1839, "The Mad River Democrat," was commenced by J.H. Nickles. It advocated the principles of the democratic party, and was continued about a year, when its publication ceased.
"The Presbyterian of the West," a religious journal, was first issued on September 22d, 1841, published and edited by Rev. J.A. Dunlap and Rev. W.D. Smith. They continued to print it here until the fall of 1845, when they removed their office to Cincinnati, where it is now continued by Mr. H.C. McGrew and Rev. N.L. Rice.
A semi-monthly religious paper, entiled "The Gospel Herald," was first published in New Carlisle, in this county, from whence it was removed to Springfield, in 1845, and is now printed in an office on Main street, nearly opposite the Anthony house.
A second democratic paper, called "The Union Democrat," and afterwards, "The Clark County Democrat," made its first appearance in May, 1846, edited by John M. West, by whom it was continued until 1849, when the press and materials were sold to Messrs. Mosgrove and Dial, who removed the same to Urbana, Ohio, where "The Expositor" appeared as its successor. "The Expositor" is still printed in Urbana, under the direction of E.P. Stephenson and C.D. McLaughlin, who have a business office in this city, on Limestone street, opposite the Springfield bank, up stairs.
On March 12, 1847, a neatly printed paper, advocating the principles of temperance, and bearing the title of "The Moss Covered Bucket," was commenced by A.C. Lawrence and W.D. Runyon; but was discontinued after the publication of six numbers, or in May following.
During the year of 1850, Geo. D. Emerson and C.D. McLaughlin, built and fitted up an extensive book and job printing office on High street, between Main and Market, and in November of the same year, Mr. Emerson commenced the publication of "The Mad River Valley Gazette," which has lately been purchased by Mr. I. Thomas, its former editor, who continues its regular issue at the office where it was first started. The building has passed into the hands of Dr. McLaughlin, of Tremont, and is now occupied by E.P. Stephenson, John W. Kees and C.D. McLaughlin, as a book and job printing office.
Battle of Piqua
County Politics and Roster of Officers
Early Clark County
George Rogers Clark
Education in Clark County
Indians in Clark County
Pioneers and Pioneer Days
The National Road
The Old Northwest
Springfield in 1852
Springfield in 1859
Springfield in 1863
Springfield in 1868
SHS 1951 Yearbook
State and County Government
Then & Now